To serve the best interests of the safety and welfare of the citizens and employees of the City of Richmond as it administers the planning, design, and construction of transportation routes (vehicular, pedestrian, and aviation), public transit, and off-street parking.
The Division of Public Works & Engineering is responsible for the implementation and/or oversight of planning, design, and construction for the City's infrastructure (Streets, Sidewalks, Curbs, Utilities, etc.). Additional responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) on State Road Projects within the City. Examples of these construction projects are the improvements on Chester Blvd. (US 27 North) and US 40 West. For a list of current or upcoming road construction projects click here...
- Managing Local Public Agency Projects that are funded with 80% Federal Highway Funds and 20% Local Funds. Examples are the Reid Parkway, Hodgin Road, Salisbury Road, South "E" Street, and Manor Drive projects. To learn more about INDOT's LPA program click here...
- Designing and managing various infrastructure projects.
- Maintaining current and historical construction drawings for the City, including the Official City Street Map.
- Issuing Right-of-Way Excavation Permits for any excavations within City Limits. For more information on Excavation Permits or to apply for a permit click here...
- Overseeing the management of the City's Airport and Public Transit System.