Full-Time Firefighter Info
Some of the basic qualifications and selection procedures consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
In order to be eligible for appointment to the Richmond Fire Department, an applicant must be a resident citizen of the United States. You must be a resident of Wayne County, Indiana or an adjoining county and reside in the State of Indiana at the time of appointment to the Richmond Fire Department I.C. 36-8-4-2.
- Applicant must be a least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of hire. I.C. 36-8-3.5-12
- Applicant must not have attained the age of thirty-six (36) years at time of hiring. I.C. 36-8-3.5-12
- Applicant shall be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma issued by a high school accredited by the department or agency of a state authorized to accredit high schools. An equivalency diploma (G.E.D.) issued by such an accredited high school is acceptable.
- Applicant must hold a valid driver's license from any state and must be able to acquire a valid Indiana Driver's License prior to employment.
- A dishonorable discharge from the military service shall disqualify the applicant.
- Applicants receiving compensation or pension benefits from military service are not disqualified from applying.
- Applicants must maintain a reliable contracted phone service. (Land-line and/or cell phone)
- Applicants shall not have been convicted of a felony.
- Applicant must be able to successfully complete both the extensive physical ability test and written aptitude examination.
- Applicant must be able to pass a thorough background investigation.
- Applicant must submit to a Structured Oral Interview.
- Applicant shall not have made any illegal delivery of drugs.
- Applicant shall not have participated in any illegal use of any type of drugs.
- Applicant must obtain Firefighter I & Firefighter II within first 12 months of hire.
- Applicant must obtain EMT within first year of hire, and Paramedic within 5 years of hire.