The Department of Finance is responsible for all financial aspects and manages the overall City's financial affairs. It collects revenues, manages and invests cash, administers the City-wide operating budget, manages every financial transaction for all the departments and controls financial processing. The Finance Department strives to be the standard of excellence in the development and implementation of innovative programs and processes while providing world-class customer service with a professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and respectful department staff. The Department operates under the direction of City Controller.
As required by State of Indiana law (IC 5-14-3.7), Financial Information is found at the following website: https://gateway.ifionline.org/public/FD/overview.aspx.
- Provision of departmental financial information and support to employees and vendors for services provided.
- Maintenance, collection and storage of financial records and reports.
- Distribution of financial statements to Department Heads.
- Preparation of comprehensive annual finance report.
- Preparation of annual budget for the City, publication and distribution of the approved budget.
- Management of all payroll and related tasks, including payroll to city employees, federal, state and other compliance reporting and payments, payroll system enhancements, and upgrades
- Maintenance of information necessary to administer benefit payments to employees and former employees. Performance of accounting and payroll tasks according to Federal and State Regulations pertaining to qualified pension funds. Provision of retirement and death benefits.
- Process of invoices, check requisitions and requests for payments for the City's accounts payable for all the departments.
The City Controller is a position that is appointed by the Mayor. This position acts as the fiscal officer for all City operations and departments, including departments of the Richmond Sanitary District.
Responsibilities of this position are stated in the Indiana Code IC 36-4-10-5
As head of the Department of Finance, the Controller oversees payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, all investment and debt activity, collection of wastewater and storm-water payments, and all other financial aspects of City Government.