Complete Streets Goals
According to INDOT…..Building Complete Streets will provide many benefits to residents, business owners, developers, and the community in its entirety. Most importantly, embracing the Complete Streets concepts will create a balanced transportation system by providing safe, accessible, and efficient connections between destinations, bolstering economic growth and stability, as well as increasing property values.
Complete Streets will enhance job growth, reduce crashes through safety improvements, improve public health and fitness, reduce harmful emissions, and reduce the overall demand on our roadways by allowing people to replace motor vehicle trips with multiple transportation options. Additionally, integrating sidewalks, bike facilities, transit amenities, and/or safe crossings into the initial design of a project spares the expense and complications of later retrofits.
Projects must comply with:
- Title VI/Environmental Justice, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- INDOT guidelines and manuals
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) publications
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) publications
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG)
- Public Rights-of-Way Accessibility Guidelines (PROWAG)
- National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) Guidelines