Effective June 1, 2014
Open Burn Permit inspection and documentation will no longer be used by the Richmond Fire Department. In the future, citizens will be able to have recreational fires that meet current regulations without scheduling inspections with the Bureau of Fire Prevention. Following the same rules as before, you may have a small fire on your property in city limits if you meet the following qualifications:
- Fire must be at least 25’ from a structure
- Fire must not be located under utility lines
- Fire must not be located on combustible decks/porches
- Fire must be attended at all times
- Method of extinguishment must be available while burning
- No burning while windy
- Only burn clean wood and brush
- Fire size shall not exceed 24” x 24”
If you would like a consultation from one of our inspectors, or information on the best practices of using a fire pit, please feel free to call 765-983-7268 to make an appointment.
If at any time your recreational fire becomes a nuisance to neighboring citizens, or hinder driving safety, and the Richmond Fire Department is called to your fire, your fire will be extinguished. Repeat offenders may be fined and burning privileges may be revoked.