Free summer day camp
Join us for another great summer of Just Us Kids Outdoors (JUKO)! JUKO is a summer day camp that gives kids the chance to have a fantastic summer full of fun activities! They include outdoor games, arts and crafts, Wellness Wednesdays, field trips, swimming, and so much more! Wellness Wednesday’s will include Fitness with a Firefighter, Zumba, Bike safety and more!
Each day, the children receive lunch through the USDA Summer Food Service Program. The best part about this program: it’s free! There is no cap on enrollment or registration deadline, but it is suggested children are registered before camp begins.
Ages: Entering Grades 1-6 in the Fall of 2019
Dates: June 3- July 12 **Does not meet July 4
Time/Locations (only choose one):
• Springwood Park from 9 am - 12 pm
• Vaile Elementary from 9 am - 12 pm
• Mary Scott Park from 1 - 4 pm
• Glen Miller Park from 1 - 4 pm
Cost: FREE - A donation of $10 is appreciated to buy t-shirts and water bottles. Cash or check donations accepted at all site locations or in the Parks Office. Please make checks payable to “City of Richmond”.
JUKO is possible with donations, sponsorships, and grants from Reid Community Benefit, and the Stamm Koechlein Family Foundation.
Lunches: Both morning and afternoon campers receive lunch. The free lunches are provided through the USDA Summer Food Service Program.. Exceptions for lunches are only made for medical reasons that have supporting verification (doctor’s note). Please indicate on your registration form if your child is lactose intolerant or has food allergies under medical information. **USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
JUKO Rules We have a few rules at JUKO to keep everyone safe and camp running smoothly:
- All Richmond Parks and Recreation summer programs have one main rule: NO HURTING. If your child is fighting, using inappropriate language, he/she will not be allowed to return to JUKO.
- If your child is not walking or riding their bike, it is your responsibility to pick them up ON TIME after JUKO. Children whose parents are consistently late picking them up will not be allowed to return to JUKO.
- One of our goals at JUKO is 100% participation in all activities. Children who continually refuse to participate in the activities will not be allowed to return to JUKO.
- Children wishing to stay at Cordell Municipal Pool AFTER JUKO must have a signed permission slip from their parent or guardian as well as money to re-enter the pool. ($3.00)
- Children must wear tennis shoes to JUKO on all non-pool days! This is important for us to reduce the risk of injury. If kids continually wear sandals/flip flops to JUKO, they will be unable to participate and parents will be called to pick their child up from camp. On pool days, children need to wear appropriate swim attire.
- Kids MUST check out with their JUKO counselors everyday before leaving. Failure to do so will result in them not being allowed to return to JUKO.
Weather Policy for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, cancellations will be made on a case-by-case basis. To learn about if we have cancelled JUKO or not, please call 983-PLAY (7529).
If it begins to rain or thunder while we are at the pool on Tuesdays or Thursdays, please pick your child up from the pool as soon as possible. If it is raining and/ or thundering prior to JUKO on a pool day, do not bring your child to JUKO. Additionally, you can find out about JUKO cancellations on G101.3, on Facebook.com/RichmondParks, and @RichmondInParks.
Register Your Child for JUKO Today! Sounds like fun, right?! We've moved to a paperless process for your convenience as well as ours:
JUKO Staff: All JUKO Camp Counselors and staff members attend training week prior to the start of camp covering topics such as developmental stages, recognizing child abuse, and psychological aspects of children. Additionally, our staffers:
- Pass Police Background
- Are CPR and First-Aid Certified
- Meet our JUKO Staff on Facebook in May!
Please visit out Volunteer page for more information about getting involved.
Volunteer Jr. Camp Counselor positions are also available for children 13 -15. More information coming soon!
JUKO End of Year Carnival
Every year we end with a Carnival, complete with prizes, inflatable obstacle course, an inflatable slide, cotton candy, and more! It's always a bunch of fun.