To serve the best interests of the safety and welfare of the citizens and employees of the City of Richmond as it administers the planning, design, and construction of transportation routes (vehicular, pedestrian, and aviation), public transit, and off-street parking.
The Division of Public Works & Engineering is responsible for the implementation and/or oversight of planning, design, and construction for the City's infrastructure (Streets, Sidewalks, Curbs, Utilities, etc.). Additional responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) on State Road Projects within the City.
- Managing Local Public Agency Projects that are funded with 80% Federal Highway Funds and 20% Local Funds.
- Designing and managing various infrastructure projects.
- Maintaining current and historical construction drawings for the City, including the Official City Street Map.
- Issuing Right-of-Way Excavation Permits for any excavations within City Limits.
- Overseeing the management of the City's Airport and Public Transit System.